This synthesis by Emanuel Gyger and Maria Eugenia Le Gourriérec, reviews the main ideas discussed during the conference entitled “The single market 20 years later: challenges and opportunities” organised by Notre Europe – Jacques Delors Institute and the Maison de l’Europe on 11 December 2013 in Paris. The conference focused on two elements of the single market: growth and the social dimension. The text is divided in five parts:
1. The single market, a driving force for growth in Europe;
2. A potential which has yet to be fully exploited;
3. A single market based on competition and on solidarity;
4. The social dimension of the single market in the context of the European elections campaign;
5. The single market, unloved and incomplete.
The podcast of the Minister for European Affairs speech’s, Thierry Repentin, is available here (in French).