European Estates General: 3000 participants relaunch the debate
On 17 March 2007, figures from civil society as well as ordinary citizens and politicians were to be found in Lille for an important event on the theme of “European pride”.
On 17 March 2007, figures from civil society as well as ordinary citizens and politicians were to be found in Lille for an important event on the theme of “European pride”. The aim was to debate, to exchange ideas, and also to propose new ones: from the work of 16 theme-based workshops, the first European Estates General produced a report which will be submitted to the heads of state and government at the European Council meeting in June. It is a unique occasion to give a voice to civil society and to move beyond the current impasse of a Europe in crisis. Could these be the first steps of a citizens’ movement to reappropriate the European project?
To see now (French only) :
- the summary of the event
- letter from Ségolène Royal to the executive of the Estates General
- a video reportage of the European Estates General, entitled “Fierté européenne”
- interview with Gaëtane Ricard-Nihoul, secretary general of Notre Europe
- the press review of the event
- site of EuropaNova, co-organiser of the event
- site of Mouvement Européen, co-organiser of the event
- the coverage of France 24
- the coverage of Nord Éclair: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
- the blog of Jean Quatremer of Libération