European Union, democracy and euro
This synthesis by Virginie Timmerman deals with the key issues of the debate organised by Notre Europe – Jacques Delors Institute and the European Movement France on 25 March 2014 in Besançon, about democracy, euro and the EU.
On 25 March 2014, 2 months before the European elections, Notre Europe – Jacques Delors Institute and the European Movement – France organised the fourth debate of their cycle “Droit d’inventaire – Droit d’inventer”, in Besançon in the euro-constituency East, on the themes democracy and euro.
Three major issues were pointed out:
1. The euro: a euro area governance to solve the crisis?
2. Democracy: what powers for the European Parliament?
3. Democracy: is Swiss democracy a model for the EU to follow?
On this occasion, citizens were able to share their questions and opinions with:
– Sandrine BELIER, Member of the European Parliament
– Nathalie GRIESBECK, Member of the European parliament
– Alain MALEGARIE, former Director General of the Euro Institute in Lyon
– Till MEYER, Honorary Consul of Germany in Dijon
– Philippe NANTERMOD, Member of the Grand Conseil valaisin (Switzerland)
– Catherine TRAUTMANN, Member of the European Parliament
To listen to the podcast of the debate (in French), click here.
To see the pictures, click here.