Our President António Vitorino takes a stand on the main issues of the European Council of 20-21 March 2014 in an interview on the following issues:
1. This European Council meeting is due to provide member states with guidelines relating to the stability or convergence programmes and the national reform programmes that they are required to submit in April. What do you consider to be the primary issues involved here?
2. On a broader level, what might the EU do to avert the danger of deflation and to stimulate growth?
3. The European Council will be addressing the EU’s industrial competitiveness. What can we expect to emerge from this debate?
4. The European Council is going to debate the new “climate and energy” package proposed by the Commission. What is your view regarding the package proposed?
5. In your view, what are the principal messages that the European Council should issue regarding the situation in Ukraine?
6. This European Council is also going to debate relations between Africa and the EU. What decisions and conclusions do you expect to see?