A dual horizon: emerging from the crisis and addressing international challenges
António Vitorino takes a stand on the main issues of the European Council of 23-24 October 2014 in an interview on various issues: the Juncker Commission, the “energy union”, the EU’s economic situation and the EU neighbourhood.
Our president, António Vitorino, takes a stand on the main issues of the European Council of 23-24 October 2014 in an interview on the following issues:
1. The European Council will be called on to confirm the Commission chaired by Jean-Claude Juncker: what is your view of that appointment?
2. The European Council will be reaching a final decision on the new European action framework in the climate and energy spheres: what are the priority issues, in your view?
3. Do you think that the European Council should embrace the concept of an “energy union”, and if so, what should its specific content consist in?
4. The European Council is also going to examine the EU’s economic situation. What announcements could it make in order to impart a fresh boost to growth and employment?
5. Do you think that the European Council should modify Europe’s strategy with regard to the reduction of budget deficits?
6. How can the European Council respond to the growing instability in the EU’s immediate neighbourhood?