American Extraterritorial Sanctions
DID SOMEONE SAY EUROPEAN STRATEGIC AUTONOMY ?
Two years after an initial publication on the recommended position that the European Union should take action against US extraterritorial sanctions affecting it, this updated and expanded version draws the consequences of major developments since, including:
- the new, albeit stifled, debates taking place in various European bodies following the 2018 publication, accompanied by several recent publications;
- the significant buildup of American pressure on European companies –under the Trump administration –via direct sanctions on Nord Stream 2, aggravated sanctions on Iran, as well as indirect sanctions aimed at the supply of components to Chinese customers by European producers, as anticipated in the 2018 report;
- the new situation now aggravated by the COVID-19 crisis, and stimulated by the simultaneous adoption of a strategic autonomy concept by various European institutions;
- the novel reflections underway in various European capitals, to which the Jacques Delors Institute (Paris), the Jacques Delors Centre (Berlin) and Europe Jacques Delors (Brussels) are contributing, hence this extended list of co-authors;
- the protective measures announced on 8 January, 2021 by the People’s Republic of China against the “Unjustified Extraterritorial Application of Foreign Legislation”; and
- the recent statments published by the European institutions themselves, in particular the Parliament, the Commission and the Council joint statement of 28 October 2020 regarding a legal process aimed to neutralise or deter foreign countries from using sanctions; the European Commission’s Communication of 19 January 2021 on the resilience of the European economic and financial system and the Inception Impact Assessment of last 17 February to deter and counteract coercive actions by third countries. ▪ ▪ ▪
SUR LE MÊME THÈME
ON THE SAME THEME
European companies are facing the decoupling of China and the United States
10/10/2022 | Elvire Fabry |
Which language(s) will the European elites speak in the future?
European Strategic Autonomy
and the US–China Rivalry:
28/07/2021 | Sylvie Bermann |
La construction européenne face à la guerre en Ukraine
23/03/2022 | Sébastien Maillard |
Election d’une nouvelle présidente du Parlement européen: interview de Christine Verger
19/01/2022 | Christine Verger |
L’Europe puissance: c’est pour quand?
17/01/2022 | Nicole Gnesotto |